Popular Posts

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Saturday Supper Special!!!

Now I know why ardent bloggers claim that blogging can be so invigorating and a bit addictive too...This is my second post for the day. And like I said earlier, yes it is about food again!!!
It being saturday, we usually are out catching a movie or play or just out and about in the city..come evening I hate sitting around at home. But not today...I am so kicked about this new thing in my life, I didnt even feel like going anywhere..and I know Sudhi feels very thankful..lol!!! He could chill at home instead of driving us around all over in the crazy rains...

Anyways,having said that, let me get to the subject of this post...I have named it Sat Supper Special, only coz, we have not seen a supper at home on a saturday night in ages...lol!! So it's special indeed...This time when I went for groceries, I managed to get the perfect fresh mozzarella. Anyone who has dealt with this ingredient will know how critical it is to get one thats fresh and has the perfect firmness...sometimes I have purchased some and then once opened realized its too soggy and soft, the kind you can't slice. That can be such a wastage..As is, fresh mozzarella comes at a fairly high price in India, so I hate wasting any part of it.

Luckily we were fortunate to get some great quality stuff today...so ofcourse had to make a Caprese Salad, which is Sudhi's all time favorite salad.....a cheese lover that he is, he can never get enough of Caprese..and to go with I made a croissandwich with Smoked Turkey breast.

This is how I went about it:
Caprese Salad Ingredients: A big ball of fresh mozarella, a ripe tomata, few basil leaves, EVOO, salt and freshly ground pepper..
Prep method: Cut the mozarella in round slices, same for the tomatoes. Roughly chopped the basil leaves..In the plate I arranged the cheese and tomato alternately, generoulsy sprinkled the basil on top..and finished it off with a good drizzle of EVOO, salt and fresh pepper(its best to use fresh pepper from a hand held pepper mill...the pepper powder from a packet doesnot come close to packing the same punch).

Croissandwich Ingredients: A regular sized croissant, Couple of slices of roasted turkey breast or any other deli meat of your choice, lettuce leaves, emmenthal cheese( this is what I used, but you may try any other ..I think provolone and swiss will taste great as well), fresh pepper..

Prep Method:Warm the croissant slightly and with a good bread knife, slice it open through thr middle, place the meat and cheese and top it off with lettuce and sprinkle some pepper. Since some of us like the cheese melted, instead of warming the croissant in the beginning, we can place the cheese and meat in it and then micro for 20 to 30 secs on 900 watts. This is how Sudhi prefers it, but I still like the cold style more.

Voila, saturday supper ready in less than 15 mins but a very special treat indeed, if I were to go by the very very satisfied look on the face of my cheese loving hubby..;)
Have a gr8 Sunday, y'all!!

3 comments:

  1. Love this but the only issue for me is that I need to prepare the croissant myself.Pity that I don't get all this stuff in the place I live but that doesn't stop me from preparing whatever we feel like eating :)
    Like I said, I loved this and will definitely prepare it once am back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats quite a task if u have to make the croissants yourself...such delicate handling of the dough and the layer by layer application of grease..hats off to you for trying from scratch...I always take help where I can get, a little bit of cheating lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, can get quite tedious. I stock myself with pastas all the time coz I've even has to make lasagne sheets myself once... I live in the jungle, you see - hehe.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete